"And the OWA 2014 goes to ... South Korea and India!"
On September 19, the 4th One World Award ceremony took place in Legau/Allgäu
In recdent years, the One World Award (OWA) has become one of the most important awards within the organic movement. Consequently, the public interest was great when the award was presented for the fourth time by Rapunzel Naturkost and the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movement (IFOAM). Well-known speakers celebrated a very special evening together with the winners, jury members and guests from around the world.
With exemplary commitment for a better world
Joseph Wilhelm, OWA initiator and founder of Rapunzel, paid his respect to the winners and their achievements emphasizing that the OWA winners promote the positive sides of globalization. In their roles as pioneers, visionaries and inspirators the OWA winners prove that an ecologically-sound, economically and socially more equitable world is possible.
OWA in Gold – achieving more together
For the first time this year, two projects were decorated with the OWA statue. Both winners share the 25,000 Euro award money. Renate Künast (Chairwoman of the Bundestag Fraction of Bündnis 90/Die Grünen) and Nnimmo Bassey (Member of the OWA jury, environmental activist) honored the winners:
- Hansalim Association, South KoreaHansalim is the biggest community-supported agriculture organization in the world. On 2,000 farms the association produces healthy food products for 1.6 million people. The product distribution is organized by 21 distributing coops, 180 health food stores and a sophisticated delivery system.
- Timbaktu Collective IndiaThe Timbaktu Collective was founded by Bablu Ganguly and Mary Vattamattam. 200,000 members engage in poverty alleviation, environmental education and organic agriculture. The OWA honors especially the collective’s merits for women’s rights and emancipation.
OWA in Silver – committed organic pioneers and activists
Celebrity chef Sarah Wiener and jury coordinator Bernward Geier presented short video clips of the four OWA Silver winners. 2,500 Euro award money and an OWA Medal went to each of the following winners:
- Jadranka and Zlatko Pejic from Croatia – award-winning founders of Biovega and organic pioneers
- Rita Schwentesius, Germany/Mexico – merited agricultural scientist and instructor of organic farmers
- Frey family, USA – founders of a worldwide unique, biodynamic family farm
- Ibrahima Seck, Senegal – distiguished co-initiator and coordinator of Africa’s organic movement
Sustainable achievements of a lifetimeare honored with the OWA-VIP and the Lifetime Achievement Award. These awards go to extraordinary individuals who have promoted the (further) development of the organic movement.
OWA-VIP (One World Award for Very Impacting People)
Prof. Dr. Klaus Töpfer, former German Federal Minister of the Environment and Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was honored for his decade-long commitment within the organic movement. The award was presented by jury coordinator Bernward Geier.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Dr. Fred Kirschenmann who supported organic farmers at the political and the academic level during all his life received the honorary award from IFOAM Executive Director Markus Arbenz.
The OWA award ceremony was part of the One World Festival at Rapunzel headquarters in Legau/Allgäu. Christina Schwarz, recent recipient of the Environmental Media Award, moderated the award ceremony with esprit and humor.
The OWA award that is endowed with a total prize money of 35,000 Euro honors people, projects and innovative ideas with ecologic, economic and social impact that make the world a better place and promote justice. The OWA was initiated in 2008 by organic food pioneer Joseph Wilhelm, founder and Managing Director of Rapunzel Naturkost.